Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Barefoot Cabernet

I have a confession to make, I’m afraid of feet ok, well not feet by just one foot…..Barefoot wine. Back in the mid-90’s I drank a couple bottles because, well it was cheap. Maybe I had a bad vintage or something but I decided no matter how cheap, I was not going to be a part of this movement. So here I am facing my fear and staring it straight in the face, so to speak. Ok, here goes, first sip…..Very grapy flavor (not good) really, it tastes like grape jelly. I do pick up the berries, currant and I swear black licorice. The harsh tannins seem to mellow after a few minutes of breathing.

Barefoot Wine produced by Barefoot Cellars which is based in Modesto, California. Their slogan is “Get Barefoot and Have a Great Time!” Through the website I learn Barefoot started off as a garage wine in the 60’s and re-launched the brand in 1985. I do like that they are partnered with many non-profit groups and events. I also learn Barefoot has been awarded 1,000 medals including:
Fastest growing wine amongst the TOP 5 Popular brands!
Three Best Buys from Wine Enthusiast – Chardonnay (April 2006), Zinfandel (Oct 2006), Merlot (March 2007, announced in 2006)
Market Watch Magazine “Wine Brand of the Year” (2007)
Maybe it’s just me, maybe I need to give feet a chance, I mean Barefoot a chance.
Chickadees word of the day:
Aeration – The process by which air is deliberately introduced to wine. Aeration begins when the cork is removed from the bottle. This can be accelerated through decanting and swirling.

No comments:

Post a Comment