Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

So why was I avoiding Fisheye wines?


Wine hubby contributed to my side line again and presented me with 2 bottles of Fisheye wine found at Sweetbay for $4.99, how can I refuse. Tonight’s trial will be the Fisheye Cabernet. Fisheye has been one of those wines I see at the supermarket but always seem to pass over, no reason that I know of, just one of those wines.

The wine in the glass is light and almost transparent when held at an angle. The aroma is full of fruit with hints of blackberry, currants and a touch of pepper. Flavors are fruit forward, light with a slight lingering finish. It’s not something I would serve at a dinner party but for not bad for everyday drinking.

We’re doing a Thanksgiving “dry run” tonight using a chicken in place of the turkey that will be dressed in his finest herbs, butter and seasonings before being placed on the grill for all to enjoy. It’s still around 90 degrees so we’re doing this one in the oven versus the grill, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Interesting wine fact:
There are approximately 400 species of oak, though only about 20 are used in making oak barrels. Of the those, only 5% is suitable for making high grade wine barrels. The average age of a French oak tree harvested for use in wine barrels is 170 years.

P.S. Chicken wasn’t that great in the oven, next run will be on the grill.

Copyright ©2009 by Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment