Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rosemount Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon 2008





I frequently find myself having one of those nights where I don’t want to analyze wine, I don’t want to have to think about it, decipher what I’m picking up or how it makes me feel, I just want to drink wine. One recent evening this very feeling hit me, I just want to drink the juice! So I reached for a bottle of Rosemount 60% Shiraz 40% Cabernet Sauvignon. No frills, no thrills, no thinking involved. But then I figured what the heck, I paid for the bottle, I may as well write about it.

Aromas of raspberry, black berry and a hint of oak. Rich ripe red berries, plums, light bodied and a decent finish but not fabulous round out the wine. The website claims the wine has delicious fruitcake notes, not sure I want my wine described with flavors of fruitcake.

They must like fruitcake in Australia and not realize how many people in the US would rather use it as a doorstop (I’ve had a few in my time that could serve this very purpose) than actually eat it let alone drink something with this descriptor. Now before you go throwing fruitcakes at me, it just isn’t something my palate appreciates. If this is something you enjoy then so be it.

Rosemount has been making wine for over 40 years and located in the Hunter Valley region of Australia. Moving from the coffee industry to the wine industry founder Bob Oatley wanted all employees to feel they were part of something special and to strive for the best. Now a leading Australian winery, their wines represent the Australian climate as well as their dedication to quality and style.

Up until 2001 Rosemount was Australia's largest family owned winery, it then merged with Southcorp Wines and in 2005 merged with Foster’s Group. I think most of you know I value family owned and run wineries. I feel there is more love and care put into the wines, since this truly is their livelihood. Does this mean the wines that fall under big conglomerates don’t give a hoot. Of course not, there are still dedicated winemakers and people who work with the vines from the time they’re planted until the time they’re juiced, bottled and sent to you and me to enjoy.

I’ve had other Rosemount wines and they weren’t so bad, this it may have just been this blend so I’ll continue to reach for them when I just want to drink an affordable wine that I don’t have to think about.

My rating – We’ll drink the rest tomorrow.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment