Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Target Wine Finds

Kate & Cassie Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Santa Rosa

2009 Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red Paso Robles

It’s funny how you never know where you’ll find your next wine find. This is a tale of two wine finds, one pretty good and one I wouldn’t bother with again. Both found at my local Target, sporting labels I was not familiar with, I decided to give them a shot. Kate & Cassie Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend got me with their trendy black and white label while Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red lassoed me in with its bronco bucking cowboy.

Kate & Cassie Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Santa Rosa
Aromas of spicy black pepper had me thinking this could be something great. First sip brought an overwhelming smoke flavor. So strong it overpowers all other flavors and made me feel like I was drinking the wine in the middle of a forest fire. I did detect a faint hint of red and black fruits. The finish is slightly soapy and perfume like and unbalanced.
I checked out their website and was a bit surprised to see fashion tips listed. I then discovered it’s clothing Cassie likes from where else; Target. I also found a number of spacing and character errors on their site. If I felt they were serious about the wine, I could overlook but I’m not sure if they’re trying to be winemakers, fashion divas or home cooks.
They refer to themselves as childhood friends, wine lovers, foodies and fashionistas. Think I’ll leave this wine in the Target aisle next time I’m there. SRP - $8.99

Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red Paso Robles
After the atrocity of the Kate & Cassie, I was a little frightened to try my second Target find but onward and upward. Aromas had me perplexed and a little timid not that it was off, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Almost vegetative but this is a red wine, I shouldn’t smell anything green. Then I nailed it, baked potato. Not an aroma or flavor I’ve ever picked up in any other wine. Flavors were earthy up front, cola flavor hits mid-palate and cocoa powder on the finish.
I don’t think everyone would appreciate this wine as it truly is an odd mix of aromas and flavors but for some reason, they work. If you’re looking for fashion tips, you’ll have to look else where, this website is all about the wine. SRP – $10.99

Looks like I hit the bullseye on at least one of my Target finds. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment