Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Zonin Prosecco and Brix Chocolate for Wine

It’s that time of year again; time to pop open the holiday bubbly! As I’ve mentioned in past bubbly blogs, I don’t wait for special occasions to delight in the effervescent wine, any occasion will do like; it’s Monday, I woke up that day, the day ends in a “y”, etc. I do most of my bubbly drinking after dinner but sparklers can lend themselves to food, you just have to do your homework. I recently received a sample of Zonin Prosecco and a new edition to the Brix Chocolate for Wine collection, Smooth Dark Chocolate.


Now my friends know that I’m not a lover of sweets. For birthdays, I ask the office celebration be with cheese and crackers versus the lard like butter cream sheet cake from the local supermarket. Over the years I’ve learned, it’s not that I don’t like chocolate, I just don’t care for the cheaply made chocolate widely available. I do however enjoy chocolates that have been made with carefully selected cocoa, the kind that can be eaten on its own or paired with a bottle of wine. In this case, I paired with a bottle of Zonin Prosecco.

Prosecco is a dry sparkling wine but seems many American and Italian producers still produce overly sweet varieties.  Zonin Prosecco does not follow that train of thought. The wine is dry and tantalizing with loads of fruity flavors. Paired with the Brix Smooth Chocolate, both were divine but even on its own, the tiny little bubbles made just sitting at home on the couch a little more festive.

Casa Vinicola Zonin S.p.a., Italy’s largest privately held wine company, prides themselves on producing quality Prosecco. Their intention is to make all of life’s little moments more enjoyable with a glass or even a bottle of Zonin Prosecco. The Prosecco grape is native to the Veneto region where the Zonin family just happens to own the largest Prosecco vineyards in Italy.

So what do cocoa and wine have in common? Tannins. Brix has four flavors to accompany different wine varietals, the darkest reds, fruitier reds, lightest reds and dessert wines. The natural tannins in the cocoa prepare the palate for the tannins in the wine. Brix uses single-origin chocolate from Ghana, chosen for the bright, fruit forward flavors complement the complex flavors in wine. The Smooth  Dark Chocolate pairs best with Champagne, Prosecco, Riesling and Moscato.

So there you have it, the perfect pair, Zonin Prosecco and Brix Smooth Dark Chocolate. Raise a glass, break a piece off and enjoy!

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

1 comment: