Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas at Biltmore® Wine 2011

Many of us carry an idyllic image of the perfect Christmas. Majestic tree reaching toward the sky, beautiful, gleaming ornaments, an abundance of food on a table set for royalty, snow kissed landscape, beautifully wrapped presents under the tree, surrounded by family and friends and of course plenty of spirits (err, the drinkable kind). While I may not have the type of ceilings that allow for an enormous tree or a table that seats sixty, I can still capture some of that Christmas cheer with my latest sample, Christmas at Biltmore® 2011.

Nose is full of orange blossom, rose and honey notes. Flavors of sweet honeysuckle and apricot make way for a delicate citrus finish. The wine is a little on the sweet side but sipping fireside it was a delight and at $11.99, you don’t have to be a multi-millionaire to enjoy. We paired the wine with Brix Chocolate for Wine Milk Chocolate for a lovely decadent combo.

Varietals – Gewürztraminer, Muscat Canelli, Chenin Blanc and Riesling
Region – California
pH – 3.38
TA – 0.58
RS – 4%
Alcohol – 12.5%

One of these Christmases, I’m going to make the pilgrimage to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. The estate and grounds are full of magic and wonder bringing you back to a scene out of America’s Castles. George Vanderbilt opened the Biltmore home to family and friends on Christmas Eve 1895. Guests were greeted by a large Christmas tree placed in the Banquet Hall. The oversized table held a feast that could probably feed a small country and after dinner, George's mom read stories to the children. I wonder if George had maps made so no one would get lost on their way to the bathroom or there beds.

Last year I’m told it snowed on Christmas Eve here in the Georgia Mountains. Yesterday the high was sixty-five and I have to admit, I found it delightfully warm as I ran from store to store taking care of a little Christmas shopping for both myself and my husband. Never thought I would be visiting Tractor Supply for presents but they do have a little bit of everything. I suppose in the spring when we have our first round of chickens, I’ll be spending even more time and money at good ole’ Tractor Supply!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah and while we’re at it, Happy Festivus, All Ya’ll!

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide


No comments:

Post a Comment