Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wines I Wouldn’t Recommend, Summerfield Cabernet Sauvignon and Yalumba Y Merlot

It happens, in my effort to find great tasting affordable wines, I come across some that are better left on the shelf. My latest disappointment in affordable wine purchases are Summerfield and Yalumba both were found at my local Total Wine. One was definitely worse than the other and the price tag will tell you immediately which one.

2009 Summerfield Cabernet Sauvignon - $4.99
I had some hopes this would go well, the aromas were full spicy and zesty black pepper but there was also something in the background, some sort of chemical smell. Still, I had to take that first sip. More of the chemical taste, like cleaning products or mimeograph paper. If you’re old enough, you’ll remember that smell from when your teacher brought in freshly made “copies” and told you to leave them on your desk until they dried. Yep, that’s the flavor coming through. There’s also lemon and a lot of jamminess in the flavors. This wine quickly went down the drain.

Yalumba Y Merlot South Australia - $12.99
I was really disappointed in this one. I mean $12.99, not exactly on the really cheap side. It wasn’t as bad as the Summerfield but was still a big disappointment. Aromas of blackberry and currant are fine but there’s something vegetative in the background. It’s actually reminiscent of rotting vegetables, not a good aroma or flavor in wine or anywhere else. Flavors are faint but I think I pick up something leafy. I call this the Gardenia leaf smell. No I’ve never eaten a Gardenia leaf or mimeograph ink but smell accounts for the majority of what you taste.

I’m not even going to bother with information on these wineries other than for Australia’s oldest family owned winery, you’d think the Yalumba Y Merlot would have been better. Maybe I’ll try another varietal for the Yalumba but I won’t bother going near the Summerfield again.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

1 comment:

  1. That's disappointing on the Yalumba - I typically like their wines. I'd encourage you to give one of their whites a try - they do a lovely unoaked Chardonnay, and I dimly remember liking their Sauv Blanc as well.

    ReplyDelete