Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2008 Concannon Conservancy Petite Sirah Livermore Valley

In the next few months my world will be a little up in the air. My husband and I have some exciting and good changes (to be covered later) on the horizon but for now we’re in limbo. Seeking a little stability I reached for a recent sample I received, 2008 Concannon Conservancy Petite Sirah. Concannon is currently celebrating 50 years since planting the first Petite Sirah not only in California but in America.

The color is a deep dark inky purple. Aromas bursting of ripe and lush berries. Flavors are rustic and full of black berries, plums, chocolate and earth. Smooth and dry finish with hints of oak.

Varital – Petite Sirah
Appellation – Livermore Valley
TA – 0.65g/100ml
pH – 3.65
RS – 0.20g/100ml
Alcohol – 13.5%
SRP - $15

Jim and Joe Concannon planted the first American Petite Sirah back in 1911. Up until 1961 the wine was used primarily for blending. In 1964 Jim released the wine as Petite Sirah and the rest is history. Petite Sirah may well be the red headed step child of California wines but its popularity is increasing. While some vintners choose to spell the varietal as “Petite Sirah”, others "Petite Syrah", and finally "Petit Syrah” they are one in the same.

With four generations of winemaking you can say it’s a family affair. I almost feel like a member of the Concannon family. Though I’ve never met them, I received a Christmas card and have received invitations to visit their winery and share lunch with the current winemakers. Maybe someday I’ll be able to meet my “Concannon Family”. Until then, I’ll continue sampling and sharing my findings on all those great Concannon wines.

John Concannon, 4th Generation Vintner will be hosting 50 Petite Sirah tastings across the country. Like Concannon Vineyard on Facebook and follow the events. Maybe they’ll be coming to your city. Concannon wines can be found nationally at your local supermarkets as well as wine retailers.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog, but so happy I stopped by. New to wine blogging, so I am thrilled to find such an informative blog! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete