Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Double Dog Dare Cabernet

From A Christmas Story (1983)
“Well I double-DOG-dare ya! NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare.”

Nothing too sinister about this wine other than they call it a wine. Double Dog Dare retails for $3.99, no typo here, it really is $3.99. I wish I could say this is a perfectly acceptable wine but the truth is it’s drinkable only if you really don’t care what you drink at the time. I think I smell toast, is that possible? I taste plum notes that associated with very low-end merlots and cabs, and there was harsh finish that swirling could not correct. The one good thing I can say is there is no offending alcohol fumes going up your nostrils when you breathe in the bouquet (I’ll use that term loosely for this “wine”).

I’m just too disappointed to write much more about this wine. I will tell you the label shows two dogs, one jumping through a ring of fire, the other watching. Watch out for this wine before it bites you!

Chickadees word of the day:
Bouquet – The complex fragrance that develops in a wine through fermentation and aging, specifically bottle aging.

5 comments:

  1. what a snob , it is terrific , but I am perhaps too stupid and should not really like it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,
    Pretty harsh considering the post was written more than a year ago and I have to admit isn't even written very well. I always advocate drink what you like so don't mind me. Keep in mind the point of any review is to give one's opinion. If you don't like mine, there are 100's of others out there for you to enjoy. I always appreciate comments, no matter the content, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The White Zin from double dog dare. I drink it room temp out the bottle!! Great friday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you on this one Wine Chick. This is closer to juice than wine. I taste a little toast, but more cherry Jolly Rancher than anything else. Artificial fruit and sugar. It isn't unpleasant and is drinkable, just not very enjoyable. For the price (2.99 at Total Wine) spend a dollar more at Trader Joe's and pick up the Vinas Chilenas Cabernet Sauvignon, but stay away from DDD unless you like liquid cherry candy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so... I'm not overly excited with wine in general, perhaps that makes my review of DDD diff! I like drinking liquid that doesn't taste bad. I like drinking liquid that doesn't make me pucker from bitterness, thus, I love DDD!

    ReplyDelete