Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lakeridge Southern White Table Wine





Being an avid wine lover and living in Florida sometimes just doesn’t add up. Really, I’m on the wrong side of the country to immerse myself in the wine world the way I would like. However, Florida does have a several wineries and a number of them are in the Tampa Bay area, so I thought it was time I give these wines a try. Publix and other local retailers now carry Lakeridge wines located in Clermont, FL, just outside of the Orlando area.

Since the big varietal grapes don’t grow well in the Florida heat, Southerner’s turn to the Muscadine grape. I must tell you, I am very biased against the Muscadine. I feel it produces overly sweet wines with little to no character and Lakeridge’s Southern White Table Wine, did not dispel my thoughts on this grape.

The color is a very pronounced yellow, candied apple aromas are the first indication the wine could possibly put me in a sugar coma. First sip, and yes, I’m hit with a sugary overly sweet juice that may be good as a dessert wine or even a Popsicle. As I swirl the wine in the glass, the liquid is heavy and syrupy and I detect particles floating in my glass. I re-washed the glass and poured again, and yes folks there are bits of fruit (I hope) floating in my glass.

Lakeridge Winery opened in 1989 and occupies 127 acres. Located on beautiful rolling hills, you really could imagine you were in Napa Valley or Dundee Hills, OR. The winery uses hybrid and muscadine grapes grown in Florida as they are disease resistant and adapt to the warm, humid climate.

Muscadine grapes are native to this country and have been cultivated since the 1500’s. Due to their ability to adapt to heat and requiring little chilling hours, the grape is primarily used in the south and parts of the mid-west. The grape produces a tough skin that requires puncturing a small hole in the fruit and then removing the pulp. Mmm, yum!

The wine isn’t that terrible, just way too sweet for me and I was put off by the particles in the glass but I did pair this with 5 year aged Gouda from Whole Foods. The dry, salty flavor in the Gouda paired beautifully with the sweetness from the wine.

Tampa wine lovers, you can sample this wine for yourself. Available either at the winery or local retailers like Publix and Sweetbay price it at $7.99.

Lakeridge Winery and Vineyards is located at 19239 US Hwy 27, Clermont, FL 34715

May have to create a new rating for this one:
My rating – we’ll drink it sparingly for the next few days.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide


No comments:

Post a Comment