Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Vine – wines-tini’s-tapas




The Vine http://thevinewines.com/ is serving up great tapas, wines and more at budget friendly prices. The Vine is currently offering a 5 for $5 at 5 menu. The times are actually 4-7, 7 days a week and feature 5 wines and 5 appetizers for $5. The Vine is committed to serving quality food and wines at affordable prices.
We started with The Crusher, a Napa Valley Cabernet. The wine takes its name from the mechanical device that breaks the grapes and extracts the juice. The Crusher had a velvety smooth feel with a long and fabulous finish. It was just slightly dry with a multitude of complex flavors. I pick up a slight dusty oak flavor as well as black pepper. In speaking with The Vine’s Liquid Manager, Michael Casey, he feels this is the best Cab your money can buy right now. We paired this wine with one of the $5 appetizers, Tenderloin Tips with asparagus (I ate around this just incase it affected the taste of the wine) and lemongrass Teriyaki. This dish was divine, the meat so tender and the sauce superb, reminded me why I was not a vegetarian.

The next wine was another Napa Valley wine called Dynamite. Let me tell you, this wine really was dynamite!!! The wine is a Zinfandel/Shiraz/Cabernet blend and I’m told this is not yet available in stores. The wine was so enjoyable, I ordered a second glass instead of tasting something new. Sorry readers, I guess I’ll just have to go back and taste some more yummy and affordable wines later. I don’t know why but my husband and I both tasted a slight hint of coconut. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered that flavor but it was there. I also picked up cherries, raspberries and an oaky flavor. We paired this with the Truffle Pommes Frites - seasoned parmesan, garlic and a white truffle essence. Who knew French Fries could be so divine.

Other notable food items on the 5 for $5 menu:
18 Spice Handcrafted Slider – crispy onions, wasabi dill sauce on a toasted pita.
Roasted Clams – covered with a melon, curry and served with a toasted crostini. I wasn’t sure how the melon and curry would work but it was wonderful. It tasted like pureed butternut squash, smooth and delicate.

During our visit, I was able to take a peek at The Vine’s impressive Wine Cellar. This is where I learned the current trend for The Vine is to buy for affordability and pass that savings on to the customer. I hope more restaurants and wine bars take this approach.

In speaking with the General Manager, Juan Rodriquez, and Michael Casey, Liquid Director, they understand the current economy and the need to provide quality service at a budget friendly price.

The Vine is located at 17667 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Lutz FL 33548

No comments:

Post a Comment