Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hob Nob Vineyards Shiraz – 2006


Whew, with all of the Wine Chicks schmoozing lately and getting various blogs out to the masses, I think it’s only fitting to open a bottle of Hob Nob Vineyards Shiraz. The Hob Nob Shiraz has a deep purple appearance and shows long legs in the glass. In the aroma I detect a grapy jam, plum and peppery. It smells great, the taste however is somewhat of a let down after the aroma. It has harsh tannins and it tastes a little like lemons. As it slides across my tongue, it doesn’t have any of that great wrap around and feels like a thin sheet.
The only real info I can find on this one is the grapes are from France. I have no idea if this is where it is bottled as I find another address for Hob Nob in New York. The website is horrible with cutesy little descriptions as you “Meet the wines” like this is the dating game or something. I hate that, don’t wineries know some of us actually want to learn about the history of the wine and the vineyards. How is the Wine Chick supposed to inform people if the wineries don’t make this info available! Ok, enough of my ranting, maybe I need another glass of wine…..
This wine wasn’t horrible but it’s not as good as some of the others I have tasted recently. After all, that’s the whole point, to weed out the bad inexpensive wines and find the gems hidden among all those bottles and shelves.
I found this wine at the Wine Warehouse at 5571 4th St North, St. Petersburg for $4.99
Chickadee word of the day:
Peppery – A trait found in wines with spicy, black-pepper characteristics, sometimes accompanied by high alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment