Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Steelhead Red Wine 2010 and Steelhead Pinot Noir 2010

Many people think writing a wine blog is a fun and exciting sideline. Well folks want to know what fun and exciting activity I’m up to this week…spitting. Yes, I’m learning to spit. Still sound like fun?

Guess I should clarify; I’m practicing spitting so I don’t end up on the floor at the upcoming Wine Bloggers Conference in Portland, OR. This isn’t my first wine rodeo and I have my own tips on how to drink wine all day and stay somewhat sober but figured I’d give spitting a shot.

Who knew spitting could be so difficult. The obvious key is to not get any on you or others around you and to make it into the spit bucket. Then there’s the spit bucket itself….yuck!

Ok, enough on this subject, onto my latest wine samples. Recently I received a few new wines to sample, Steelhead Red Wine and Steelhead Pinot Noir.

 Steelhead Red Wine North Coast 2010
Ripe dark berry aromas draws you in for the first sip. Bing cherry, chocolate and oak pass over the palate. Well structured tannins and a lingering finish provide for a lovely red wine.
Sourcing grapes from the Dry Creek Valley, Steelhead Red kicked off the wineries ventures in winemaking.
Varietal Blend: 65% Zinfandel, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon,
15% Cabernet Franc, 5% Syrah
Alcohol: 14.2%
Acidity: 0.59 g/100ml
pH: 3.71
SRP: $14.99

Steelhead Pinot Noir Sonoma 2010
After opening bottle and pouring into glass I found quite a bit of alcohol burn. Allowing the wine to air and after a bit of swirling the burn dissipated and the true aromas and flavors emerged. Red and black fruits aromas full of currant and plum. Dark plum, cherry and cola flavors followed by a long silky finish.
Varietal Blend: 97% Pinot Noir, 3% Syrah
Alcohol: 14.3%
Acidity: 0.60 g/100ml
pH: 3.68                                               
SRP: $14.99

Created in 1998 the winery acquired their name from the Steelhead Trout that are native to surrounding creeks in Dry Creek Valley. The winery follows a “Better Wine. Better World” strategy with a commitment to create outstanding wine and maintain and restore balance to the surrounding environment.

Together with Trout Unlimited (TU) the winery works to improve the balance between water and land throughout California wine country allowing Steelhead Trout to return to the streams they once inhabited. A portion of the proceeds from every bottle sold goes to fund TU’s conservation efforts.

A partnership with another winery focused on preserving and restoring the area, Quivira Vineyards, Steelhead is able to employ Hugh Chappelle (Quievera winemaker) as their consulting winemaker. I love a wine that not only tastes good but makes me feel good about my purchase.

I’ll speak more to my upcoming trip next week, stayed tuned and keep the wine wipes handy.

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide




No comments:

Post a Comment