Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine’s Day Wines - Caymus, Meiomi and Biltmore, Be Mine!

Typically recognized as the coldest winter month, this February is bringing what the locals call spring like temps. In Florida, these temps would be closer to winter so I feel right at home. It’s also the month for Cupid to go around shooting his arrow, over priced chocolates, flowers and an array of other things that are supposed to warm your beloved’s heart. Whether you believe Valentine’s Day is a holiday made up by the greeting card and chocolate companies, a ploy by the jewelry stores or if you truly enjoy heart shaped boxes and sappy cards, you can celebrate the day in style. Who cares if it’s with a romantic love interest or a group of friends staging an all out Cupid boycott. I’ve got a few wines to help you either forget there even is an opposite sex or toast your love.

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Napa Valley  - $68
For those of you with deep pockets, Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 will have you drooling in your glass. Classic cassis, vanilla, leather and oak aromas. Loads of fruit flavors hit the front of the palate, hints of leather wash over mid palate and the finish is pure, sensual vanilla. Some wines are all hype and the price tag can leave you in a little sticker shock. I can tell you; this wine is worth the $68 price tag. Obviously not an everyday wine but if you want toe curling wine, this is the one.  

Bella Glos Pinot Noir 2009, Santa Lucia Highlands, Monterey County - $44
Aromas of spicy black cherry and ripe black fruits. Flavors consist of berries, plums and more spice. Finish is long and supple. We paired with an array of charcuterie with local hard cheeses and meats.
 
Meiomi Pinot Noir 2010 Sonoma, Monterey, Santa Barbara - $22
Aside from the Caymus this was my favorite of the three and is listed at a good price. Ripe strawberry and oak aromas. Spicy earth, leather and red fruit flavors. The soft tannins are velvet on the palate. I just want to wrap myself up in this wine and at $22 a bottle, I just may.

Looking to sample all three of the above wines and three delectable white wines (more on those in another blog). The Wagner Family of Wine Tasting Flight is a great way to experience the wines for around $40.

This is by far the best Rosé I’ve had in some time. I used to shy away from Rosé, thinking of those sickly sweet pink wines I tasted in my youth. This 50% Merlot and 50% Cabernet Sauvignon has aromas of fresh picked strawberries and flavors of white peach and a hit of citrus. We paired with spicy Korean Short Ribs.

Biltmore Estate Méthode Champenoise Pas de Deux–Sec - $19
I’m a bit of a sparkling wine junky. I pop open a bottle several times during the week. So when I received this sample, I didn’t wait long to dive right in. Aromas of white fruits consisting of ripe pear and crisp apple. Flavors are soft and full of floral and honey. A slight hint of yeast in the finish but not un-pleasing.

I love pink sparklers, they’re just fun and scream, drink me! A blend of Semillon, Traminer, Shiraz and Frontignac, aromas are full of strawberry and spice. Nose carries a hint of aromatic rose.Ripe cherry flavors mixed with a little hint of mango make this inexpensive sparkler, a good deal.

So if you find yourself dodging Cupid’s arrow this year or all out flinging yourself onto it, remember to raise a glass to good wine!

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2012© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide




No comments:

Post a Comment