Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2009 Tempra Tantrum Tempranillo Cabernet Tierra de Castilla, Spain

I know I’ve done a lot of red wines lately but the colder weather makes me want to wrap myself in those big bold reds. I promise, I’ll lighten the wines up very soon. My latest red wine sample was a bottle of 2009 Tempra Tantrum Tempranillo Cabernet. I find Tempranillo wines to be hit or miss for me but this one was pretty much on target.

Nose is filled with spicy black pepper and blackberry. Flavors are filled with juicy red fruits and plum with a slightly dry finish. Well balanced tannins and complexity make this a very easy drinking wine. Fast forward in your mind to when the snow has melted and you’re able to sit outside sipping wine.

Composition - 60% Tempranillo, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
pH - 3.68
TA - .55g/100ml
Alcohol - 13.5%
SRP - $10.00

Sixth generation winemaker, Rocío Osborne, had a goal to push the traditional bounds of Spanish winemaking and create stylish and modern Tempranillo wines. The winery takes an approach referred to as “Nuevo Vino” to promote soft and fruity wines while maintaining the proper amount of structure and complexity that is unique and characteristic of the Tierra de Casitlla appellation.

The grapes are harvested just before dawn, in the coolest part of the day. They are then fermented at cool temperatures to highlight the fruity quality and soft tannins. After fermentation the wine is aged using micro-oxygenation techniques which softens the wine and opens up the fruit flavors. As the wines are made to be soft and gentle, they require minimal bottle-aging making them ready to drink immediately.

Just keep thinking, February is almost over and soon we’ll all be complaining about the heat. In the meantime, don’t pout or throw a fit, just pick up a bottle of Tempra Tantrum.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/


Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

1 comment:

  1. I'm admittedly biased toward Tempranillos, and I'm glad this blend impressed you! I loved it. I quoted your thoughts over on my review of it today.

    ReplyDelete