Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 Bubbly Report Part 2

My favorite season is coming to a close. Sure the jolly fat guy in the red suit is fine for some and the lighting of eight candles may do for others but for me, it’s Sparkling Wine Season. It’s the most wonderful time of year, the bubbles are flowing and glasses are clinking and I’m in good cheer…. sorry, got carried away. Without further adieu, bubbly report 2010, part 2

Nice dry aroma with a subtle hint of honey. Flavors of apricot and peach are clean and delicate with a dry finish. A little fewer bubbles than other sparkling wines but still nice beads swimming happily to the top of my glass.
The J.P. Chenet website claims the wine was the forerunner of French-style “world wine”, rising to the challenge to make wine more affordable. Great wine for the masses I say! I paired this French wine with Italian cuisine, homemade eggplant lasagna.
A quick online search for prices listed this wine less than $10. Wow, a sparkler under $10 that is truly yummy.

Abundance of fine bubbles, hint of floral in the aroma. Flavors of strawberry and cherry and a touch of spice make this my big surprise find of the season. I stumbled upon this at my local Publix. Like many others, I fell into the Yellow Tail trap set back in the late 90’s. Since then my palate evolved and I left the overly sweet wine behind. However, since I’m a sucker for the pink bubbly, I had to pick up a bottle and give it a try. Even comes with a resalable cap, although I rarely have left over sparkling. Priced at $8.99 I went back and picked up another bottle!

2006 Mumm Napa Blanc de Blancs
Creamy honey and golden apple aromas, flavors are crisp and clean with an abundance of citrus in the finish. Great balance between sweet and dry. Made up of 90% Chardonnay and 10% Pinot Gris the wine is drinkable now or can be cellared for several years. Priced at $30, this is a great sparkler to enjoy on special occasions or if you’ve got the pockets for it, one of those just because occasions.

Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Brut
This was another one of my curiosity purchases and it was the most disappointing. In all fairness I do have a cold but also had it when tasting the Yellow Tail. The only distinguishable flavor I picked up was honey. Otherwise, the wine lacked personality and with bubbly the more character, the better. Was priced at $9.99 so it’s not a total waste, just wouldn’t bother with purchasing in the future.

So there you have it, my 2010 bubbly report, something for everyone to enjoy while ringing in the 2011 New Year. If you’re not a wine lover and were lucky enough to get your hands on Sam Adams Infinium (all stores I went to sold out within a day or two) let me know how it was. Next year, I’ll be one of the first in line to get my taste buds on it.

Keep in mind, while drinking and enjoying adult beverages is great fun and I highly advocate the practice, drinking and driving is not something that should be practiced. So either save those beverages for when you’re safely at home or designate a non-drinking driver to shuttle you safely home. Also, a lot of cab and towing companies offer free or discounted services to those who have imbibed in a little too many holiday spirits.

Happy New Year, see you in 2011!

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

Follow me on:
Facebook:

Twitter:



No comments:

Post a Comment