Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Perfect Halloween wine if you like embalming fluid, Gnarled Vines Zinfandel

So what’s the scariest Halloween wine you can think of? I’ve got one, it’s the one I thought would provide a great Halloween wine but instead turned out tasting like embalming fluid, 2008 Gnarled Vines Zinfindel.


The color is a deep almost blackish Garnet; aromas are red berries and candied fruit. Flavors of cheap hard cherry candy mixed with some Robitussin. Thin and not much going on other than artificial blackberry in the end. Seriously it tasted like someone tried to make wine out of Welch’s Red Grape Juice.

I did a write up on 2007 Gnarled Vines Zinfandel just last year and thought it was just fine. Has my palate evolved that much, was 2008 just a really bad vintage, did I get a bad bottle. How could I have enjoyed this wine so much last year, yet now I find it undrinkable.

I think my palate is evolving, I’ve had a lot of wines that are in the $20 and up price range in the past few months and I think I’m now able to tell the difference between those wines and those priced under $10. It’s sad but I do think it’s true.

I’ll continue digging around for some great tasting Halloween wines. In the meantime, check out some of my articles from last Halloween by clicking on the links below.

2009 Halloween Wines
2006 Temptation Zinfandel
2008 EVIL Cabernet
2007 Black Vines Cabernet
2008 Crow Canyon Cabernet
2007 Vampire Merlot

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment