Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wily Jack Zinfandel Sonoma Valley 2007



After months of being on my white wine kick, I feel like I’m finally settling back into the reds. Anyone who steps outside can tell you it’s not because of any cooler temps but I think I miss the familiarity of those bold reds. I hesitantly opened a bottle of Wily Jack Zinfandel not knowing anything about the wine; I was hoping this wasn’t just another quirky name and label pulling me in with false hope.

First sip and I knew this wine would make me happy. Aromas of vanilla and toast tantalize my senses. Deep purple in color the plum and blackberry flavors come through strong. A little on the jammy side with medium residual sugars, but well balanced enough, it’s not too overwhelming. A hint of green pepper at the back of the palate leads to a very smooth and nice finish.

Wily Jack, located in Sonoma, CA, launched their winery in August of 2009. The grapes are sources from regions across the entire state or California. The website mentions the wines are meant to be enjoyed right from the bottle, (so no glass required?) and consumed within the first few years of bottling.

For a young winery, they already have two medals under their belt. The 2008 Chardonnay and 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon won silver and gold respectively at the 2010 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.

Like Wily Jack’s motto, “many roads, one path” I continue to look for my new path in life. It’s been a year since I started this venture and I can say I’ve gotten farther than I could have imagined. Here’s to hoping my second year steers me even closer to my correct path and doing something I truly love.

All Wily Jack wine varietals can be found for under $10.

My rating - too good to put down.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment