Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cypress Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2007



Found this wine at a local wine/liquor store. I’m always looking for wines in my price range that are new to me. So I jumped at the chance to try Cypress Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2007. Imagine my surprise when I find out this “new” to me wine, is actually produced by J Lohr Vineyards, who is not new to me.

Ruby red in color, aromas chock full of cherry, spice and oak. Flavors don’t have a lot going on. High tannins, some fruit flavors, very dry and astringent. Definitely not one of the J Lohr better wines.

Cypress Vineyards harvests grapes from the California Central Coast. The area is influenced by the breezes off the Pacific Ocean cooling the coastal and inland valleys. This allows the grape to maintain its natural acidity (I can attest to this fact). As with most grapes, temperature is critical to the development of the flavor and aromas of the grape.

The J Lohr website states the Cypress Vineyard wines taste as if they were kissed by sun and sea. Well, if that translates to dried up wine then they hit the nail on the head. In all seriousness, we did eventually finish the bottle but it took a few nights.

Since this wasn’t one of my favorite wines, I don’t think I’ll spend much more time on it. My opinion on this one, purchase one of the other wines in the J Lohr line, leave this one alone.

My rating: - use the rest in sauce

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

1 comment: