Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

2007 ForestVille Merlot

On a rainy night the Wine Chick hears faint meows. Grabbing an umbrella I set outside looking for the source of the cries. I see a cat dart out of the bushes but I still hear the cries. As I dive into the bushes, I find five wet and cold kittens. Only days old and eyes still closed, these kitties need some place warm and dry. Wine Chicks hubby emerges with an IKEA bin and warm towels. We place each kitten in the bin and put them in a dry safe spot and hope mama comes back.

Nerves frazzled, I think it’s time for a glass of wine. I opt for ForestVille Merlot that I found at The Wine Warehouse on 4th street in St Pete for $5.99. At first I have high hopes for this wine but the wine has a generic taste that I can’t quite place. The taste is harsh on my tongue but somehow has a smooth finish. The wine tastes of plums, cherry, and a hint of pepper.

I find a website for Noble Estates Wine & Spirits out of Canada. It appears they represent the wines and spirits but they don’t necessarily make the wine. I do learn the ForestVille Vinyard was started in the northern interior region of California. The climate and geography makes for fully ripened grapes, which are harvested in early September (perfect timing for this article) the juice then ferments at controlled temperatures.

The website does not mention whether the fermenting takes place in oak or steel. In fact it really does not speak to the wine itself but rather promotes Noble Estates awards such as the VinCambridge Award. In 2005 they were awarded the Cambridge Food and Wine Society "College of Builders Award" in Toronto recognizing the contribution they made in the promotion of fine dining in Toronto. Also to their commitment in helping to maintain culinary standards in the community. Well, isn’t that nice, but what about their wine and spirits??? Maybe if they were more focused on the wine, it could have been a really fabulous wine instead of just ok. Why don’t wineries offer more info about the actual wines they produce???….I’m done ranting now.

All in all, this wine was not too bad for $5.99 and I may give it another try.

Chickadee word of the day:
Noble – a term used to describe a superior wine of remarkable character and great breed.

BTW, mama did come back and took all kittens away in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment