Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dancing Bull Heraldsburg, CA, Merlot 2006



Sometimes I purchase my wine based on recommendations from other people. I believe it was my mother who spotted Dancing Bull while shopping at her local grocery chain in Boone, NC. If I remember correctly it was a BOGO offer, so when I came across the Merlot varietal in one of my local wine retailers, I decided to give it a try.

Aromas of ripe berries and a hint of oak. Blackberries and black cherry make up most of the flavor profile with a hint of raspberry mid-palate ending with a short finish. The wine is medium bodied and a little jammy but not too offensive. It’s a simple wine that’s not too heavy for summer drinking.

Here’s my major problem with this wine, it’s a sub-brand of the E&J Gallo portfolio. I still equate E&J with jug wine. I participated in a blind wine survey a few months back and at the end the participants received a 1.5 liter of Gallo Merlot. It took months before I opened the bottle and once I did, after a few sips, the wine went down the drain.

Enough of my Gallo rantings. Dancing Bull wines got its start when winemaker Eric Cinnamon began working with Zinfandel grapes in Lodi. After making his mark in the Zinfandel world, the winemaker expanded the varietals and in 2006 the first Dancing Bull Merlot was born.

I may just need to get over my prejudices against Gallo, Dancing Bull was a decent summer wine but I can’t see myself enjoying a glass in the fall or winter. But as the temps continue to rise, I find my wine choices adjusting so I may revisit this one again over the summer.




My rating - We'll drink the rest tomorrow.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment