Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bodegas Juan Gil Jumilla Wrongo Dongo Monastrell 2009


I’ve passed by this particular brand for some years now, something about the name Wrongo Dongo just didn’t seem right. My curiosity finally got the best of me and decided it was time to face the wine.

Aromas of oak, vanilla and bing cherry make me loose a little of my hesitation. Bursting with flavors of rich ripe fruits and cherries it reminds me a little of cough syrup but in a nice familiar way. It’s a complex wine with lots of depth and I think you really can’t go wrong with Wrongo Dongo.

Bodegas Juan Gil was founded in 1916 in Jumilla Spain by Juan Gil Gimenez. His grandsons, Juan Gil Gonzalez and brother Paco, brought to the winery an image of quality, efficiency and reliability. Juan Gil’s great-grandchildren now own and operate the winery using techniques that are kind to the environment without sacrificing quality.

Jumilla is located in southeastern Spain where the wine region spans 30,000 hectacres, consisting of 44 Bodegas (vineyards) which produce 24 million liters of wine annually.
Monastrell is the king grape in this region, used to make strong dark red wines and rosés as the thick skins of the grape thrive in the hot Jumilla climate. The grape goes by three names depending on the country, Monastrell in Spain, Mourvèdre in Franceand Mataró in Portugal..

As the summer months continue to go by and thoughts of an upcoming yet still too far away vacation loom in my head, it’s nice to know some things even though they may sound wrong, are really just quite right.

My rating - We’ll drink the rest tomorrow.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment