Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Barefoot Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Dry Creek Valley 2003


I’ve sampled several Barefoot wines in my time and I’m still on the fence. For the most part I feel they are overly jammy and not well developed so when my husband stumbled across a Barefoot Reserve 2003 at one of our favorite stores, Cacciatore Bros, I was intrigued.

While I didn’t initially have high expectations for this wine, I was pleasantly surprised after just one sip. Aromas of heavy oak and vanilla, flavors are dry with high tannins, subtle red berry flavors and slightly tart. The wine resembles a Bordeaux, with it’s complexity and sophisticated flavors. The wine has a very French feel and doesn’t have the typical in your face high fruit flavors represented in typical California Cabs.

Starting as a garage wine in the late 60’s under the Barefoot Bynum wines labels, the wine was sold only in the tasting room until 1973. At this point, original winemaker, Davis Bynum, closed his Barefoot operation to focus on premium wines. In 1986 Barefoot Cellars was launched by Bonnie Harvey and Michael Houlihan. Their focus was on making wine that would appeal to young wine drinkers as well as wine aficionados.

Over the years, the wines have earned numerous accolades and awards. The company is also dedicated to charitable causes and recently developed the Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project, maybe they can help clean up the Gulf Beaches once the oil starts washing ashore.

My rating – We’ll drink the rest tomorrow

If you purchase, finish the bottle the same day you open. I noticed some 48 hours later the wine turned. It now had a high alcohol smell and slightly off aromas, the flavor was still fine but the aromas were enough to turn me off.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment