Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Pinot Evil Pinot Noir Hungary

In my quest for Halloween wines, I received a sample of Pinot Evil Pinot Noir in the cool Octavin Home Wine Bar. Looking at the label with it’s familiar Three Wise Monkey Proverb, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, I find I have an evil confession to make; I don’t love Pinot Noir wines, ok I said it. And while I’m at it, I didn’t like the movie Sideways. I wanted to, but I just didn’t.
So now that it’s out in the open here’s why I don’t like all Pinot Noirs. I find too many of them to be a little thin and lackluster. I give kudos to any grape grower who takes on the daunting task of growing and cultivating these finicky little grapes. I give even bigger kudos to those who can turn those grapes into a fabulous tasting wine. I have had some of those fabulous bold Pinot Noirs but unfortunately I find many to be just too light for my palate.

So where does that leave me and my feelings on Pinot Evil’s Pinot Noir?

Aromas are light but I detect cranberry and blackberry. The flavors are a little tart, almost like cranberries and the body is very light. I found the wine was better with food and after sitting in the glass for awhile.

Appellation - Hungary
Inaugural Release - Over 40,000 cases produced
Alcohol - 12.0%

I do think this would be a good wine for people who haven’t embraced the big bold reds just yet. I’m also curious to see if the wine softens a bit since the Octavin is the equivalent of 4 bottles and I’ll have it around for awhile.

I don’t know how the rest of you spend your Halloween while passing out candy but in my neighborhood, those of us without kids sit out in the driveways while enjoying some adult beverages. Any of the Octavin Home Wine Bars would be perfect for such an occasion. I use plastic wine goblets so I don’t have to worry about glass in the driveway but I always kept the bottle inside. With this set up, I can just keep it on the driveway or on the back of the car….now that is a treat!

Pinot Evil Pinot Noir retails for $21.99, remember the Octavin Home Wine Bar is the equivalent of 4 750ml bottles. Now time for some ghoulish times.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment