Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

2006 St Francis Winery RED

Halloween is the perfect time to have some fun with those red wines. Not that any wine can’t be fun no matter what the time of year but winemakers and marketers are creative folks and have a way with taking those innocent looking reds and giving them a menacing look. Halloween is the perfect time to have some fun shopping by label and name. Take for instance my sample of St Francis Winery’s Red. The label shows what appear to be red splashes of blood, although I suppose it could be the result of a sloppy wine drinker too.

Aromas of oak, vanilla and spice mix with flavors of blackberry, cassis, more oak and spices. As soon as the first sip washes over my palate, I know there is no turning back, I’m now on a mission. Tannins are well structured and bold leading to a haunting finish.

When I finally come to my senses and put the glass down, I’m surrounded by red stains, the color of blood. The flavor and adrenal linger and just won’t die. I’m forced to pick up the glass again and again until finally I have fulfilled my mission; I’ve killed the bottle.

I feel no remorse as I spy one last drop perched on the rim of my glass. As I watch it slowly drip down the curve of the glass, I have to cave to my temptation…slurp. All evidence of has now been eradicated.

Blend make up – 48% Merlot, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Syrah, 3% Zinfandel and 6% Mixed Blacks.

Don’t be confused if you see this wine in store with different labels. There are currently twelve labels, all designed by Jeffery Caldewey but the only difference to the wine may be the vintage.

This wine retails for around $9.99.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment