Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Foppiano Lot 96 Petite Sirah SonomaCounty

One reason my husband and I made the move from sunny Florida to NE Georgia Mountains was to experience all four of Mother Nature’s seasons. Seems like right after Labor Day, the temps dropped fast, almost too cool and too fast for me but temps have been above average this winter and seems my request for snow won’t be met this year. I’m not asking for a crippling shut down snow like the region experienced last year, just a nice little dusting, is that too much to ask? We’ve had a few minutes of flurries where I felt like a school kid letting them fall on my face but other than that, I’m still waiting for the white stuff to fall from the sky. It really would have been great to have a White Christmas, sigh, well that didn’t happen. But speaking of Christmas, I’ve had Foppiano Lot 96 Petit Sirah in my little black wine book since that time as we sampled it on Christmas Eve while waited for St. Nick to arrive.

Aromas full of oak, plum and cherry. Full bodied and rich with ripe blueberry, blackberry and a hint of peppery spice. At just $12.50, it can be Christmas every day!

Foppiano is one of the oldest family-owned wineries in Sonoma County with roots dating back to 1896 when Giovanni Foppiano bought 80 acres of Russian River Valley land. Enduring Prohibition by selling home winemaking kits, they have continued to operate for over a century. A founding member of the Russian River Valley AVA, Foppiano continues to improve upon Giovanni’s vision of creating world class wine by keeping up with new and innovative winemaking processes and equipment.  

Over the years I’ve become envious of those who grew up with soil and vines running through their veins. For someone like me who didn’t grow up with home vegetable gardens or long evenings spent conversing over wine I feel I’ve been given a second chance at that sort of lifestyle. While I won’t be surrounded by gnarled old vines I will have ample amounts of vegetable, flower gardens and chickens. I look forward to seeing the changes to our property and an ever changing lifestyle over the next several years.

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2012© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide


No comments:

Post a Comment