Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wine and My Happy Place

I feel like my brain is a pile of mush this week. I’ve had to spend all my time on one program at my paying gig this week. I feel as if I’ve been sort of side swiped as it’s hogging all my time. I need to go to my happy place and I need to go soon! Since it’s only 3:00 in the afternoon and that’s a little too early to start drinking wine alone, I’ll have to reminisce about a recent wine that took me to my happy place. Hmm, wow, seems there were quite a few. Maybe I’ll just give you a potpourri of wines that make me happy.

Zonin Rosé Brut Sparkling Wine
Ah, pink bubbly, my favorite. Apple and yeasty notes carried through the bubbles waft out of the glass. Flavors of dried cherries, apples and I swear I taste rose petals. Made from a blend of red and white grapes the red grapes are gently crushed. The grapes are allowed to lay on their skins for a short time giving the wine its pinkish hue. This is labeled as Brut but I found it to be a little on the sweet side. Best served chilled between 5° and 7°C (41°-45°F). Pairs well with hors d’oeuvres, risottos or as I enjoyed it, on its own. Alcohol – 11%. SRV - $11

Biltmore Estate Méthode Champenoise Pas de Deux–Sec
Crisp apple and white fruit aromas. Delicate floral, peach and pear flavors. The wine is semi-sweet and carries a slight yeastiness but is not unpleasing. The wine is 100% Muscat with 12.5% alcohol. I paired this sample with Breakfast for Dinner. The saltiness of the bacon and the peach and pear flavors were a perfect match. SRP -$18.

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy sparkling wines? They’re fun, festive and my husband doesn’t care for them so I get them all to myself. How’s that for a happy place!

Bridlewood Estate Winery Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
I found this gem all on my own while visiting a near by wine and liquor store. Aromas of cassis, spice and black pepper. Full to medium bodied, bursting flavors of plum, raspberry, cherry and a vanilla finish. This was such a wonderful surprise and priced at just $10.99, I plan on making the trek back to the store to pick up more soon. 

Hope Family Wines Liberty School Chardonnay 2010
Full of peach and green apple aromas. Crisp and fresh white fruits and citrus burst through the flavors. Finish is a subtle oak that seems to melt on the palate. 94% Chardonnay and 6% Viognier, the fruits benefit from the warm sunny days and the cool nights of the Central Coast. With an SRP of $11.99, it’s just one more thing to make me happy.

I feel better already. Letting the stress of the past few days roll off my shoulders and pool around my chair and dry into a fine dust to be blown away by the early spring winds. It’s days like these when I truly love living in NE Georgia. Just this morning I watched 8 deer feed on a few green sprigs popping up, just feet away from the house. As the fog lifted above the trees, the birds began singing their morning song and a few of them came to visit by landing on the front porch rail. I’m very fortunate to live in what I consider my dream vacation.

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2012© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

 Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide




No comments:

Post a Comment