Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Conundrum White Wine Blend 2010

My birthday falls just 7 days after Valentine’s Day so I never ask for two gifts; just dinner for Valentine’s Day and a gift & dinner for my birthday. This year I’m still asking for the dinner’s (I’m no dummy!) but instead of a gift, I’m asking my husband to begin bringing our bathroom up to date. The major renovation of turning our cramped and unappealing shower into a much needed linen closet and removing the unused garden tub and designing a shower retreat will have to wait just a little longer. But in the meantime we can get rid of the wallpaper, replace mirrors, lighting, vanity, sink and faucet. I’m so lucky I have such a handy husband and who with some help from his assistant (me) can do all of these changes on our own. Last night I feel like I received an early birthday present when I sampled a bottle of Conundrum White Wine Blend 2010.

Perfumed aromas of honeysuckle and rose. Round and creamy Chardonnay appears first on the palate, followed by fresh and lively Sauvignon Blanc and spicy Viognier. Finish is made up of semi sweet honey from the Muscat grape. This is by far the finest white wine I’ve had in some time.

Produced by Wagner Family of Wines, I feel like this is one of those must have white wines. Before leaving Tampa, we dined at the well known Bern’s Steakhouse and several times throughout the evening I heard diners ask for a bottle of Conundrum. It’s a delicate and very pretty wine and at just $22, it doesn’t have to be saved for special occasions. 

Made up of five California white grape varietals: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat Canelli, Viognier and Semillon- sourced from Napa, Monterey, Santa Barbara and Tulare counties. The name Conundrum refers to the puzzling array of flavors and aromas bursting through. Each vintage contains a varied percentage of each grape, allowing Mother Nature to determine which grape will steal the show in that particular vintage.

Wagner Family of Wines sound familiar? It should, also the makers of Caymus, Mer Soleil, Meiomi and others, they’re a wine powerhouse.  A true family affair, Caymus head winemaker and patriarch Chuck Wagner, has roots in Napa dating back to the 1800’s. Son Charlie heads up Mer Soleil and Silver. Another son Joseph heads up Belle Glos and Meiomi Pinot Noirs; and Jon Bolta, in all likelihood considered a member of the Wagner family, created the Conundrum blend.

Think I’ll get myself an early present and purchase my own bottle of Conundrum. I think you should pick up a bottle for yourself too!

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2012© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide










No comments:

Post a Comment