Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

2008 Robert Oatley Chardonnay Mudgee

Ooohhh doggies it’s hot out there. Talk about the dog days of summer, I think Florida’s been in it for a few weeks and it’s just now June. No better time to kick off my summer whites series then now. While I haven’t given up sitting outside, my husband and I have taken to sitting under the tree. The thermometer on the lanai currently reads 98 degrees, and that’s in the shade. Yep, it’s a scorcher! It’s time to break out a white wines that can stand up to the heat; Robert Oatley Chardonnay from Mudgee, Australia. If the Aussies know anything, it’s wine and heat.

Aromas are perfect for outdoor summer drinking, loaded with tropical mango and pineapple. Flavors are slightly tart but refreshing with pineapple and grapefruit flavors tantalizing the palate. The wine finishes with a nice clean and refreshing finish. Perfect for any outdoor or indoor wine drinking you may partake in this summer.

Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
Region: 100% Mudgee, New South Wales
Barrel Aging: Partial - 10 months in French oak barrels
Alc/vol: 12.2%
RS: 1.0g/100mL
pH: 3.30
TA: 6.3g/100mL

Gone are the days of those overly buttery Chards that just make my mouth feel like it’s been coated with cold cream. The Robert Oatley Chardonnay represents the new style of Chardonnays as they are now produced in a more crisp and clean style and I welcome them into my glass.

Known as one of Australia’s oldest wine regions, Mudgee was one of the first Chardonnay planting regions. At 1,500 feet above sea level, the red clay and volcanic soil provides just the right nutrients to the Oatley vineyards. The unique soil allows the wines to take on the full varietal potential along with  complexity and balance. For more info on the Oatley line, click here

As the Florida temperatures climb higher and no rainfall as a reprieve from the heat, I find myself reaching for white wine after white wine. Don’t fret red wines, as soon as the temps are back in a reasonable range, I will welcome you back with an open wine glass.

To donate to the America’s Disaster Relief Truck, currently helping Alabama tornado victims and Mississippi flood victims, click here.
2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.


Follow me on:
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide




No comments:

Post a Comment