Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

2009 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Chardonnay

I’m experiencing a few changes in my world and hoping some really big ones come soon. In the meantime I find myself falling back to tried and true favorites. While I welcome the monumental changes that I expect and hope come soon, sometimes you just want to stick with familiarity that’s why I recently reached for Columbia Crest’s 2009 Grand Estates Chardonnay.
Aromas were a little closed at first but after some light swirling soft oaky aromas wafted out of the glass. Hints of apple and white fruit hit the palate. The flavors are creamy and buttery true to the new California Chardonnay style, smooth, clean and refreshing. I say new California Chardonnay style because not so long ago, CA Chardonnay tasted like you would pour over popcorn. I find the new styles, lighter, more delicate and very easy drinking.

I’ve covered Columbia Crest in several blogs, I mean why not, they’re affordable and they taste good. Two of the most important factors I can think of when choosing an everyday wine. I don’t want to sound like a broken record and give you the same info over and over. So what info can I dig up that I haven’t already covered…. Here’s something you may not know and it doesn’t have anything to do with the winery but is related to the area.

Mount Rainier located southeast of Seattle is noted as the most prominent mountain in the US. It is also considered to be one of the most hazardous volcanoes in the world. The top of the volcano contains three summits, the highest being named Columbia Crest. A little geography lesson for you today. I’ll throw in a little info about the winery as for those of you who have not seen my previous blogs.

Columbia Crest’s history begins back in 1978 when the first 500 acres of vineyards were planted in what would eventually become Columbia Crest Winery. By 1983 the winery is officially open for business just one year before official appellation (AVA) status is granted to Columbia Valley, WA. By 1997 the winery has one several accolades as well as being listed under Wine Spectator’s Top 100 wines, an honor they now receive year after year.

Found at my local BJ’s Wholesale Warehouse for just $8.99.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter: http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment