Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

2009 Big House Unchained Naked Chardonnay

Having just returned from a vacation to the Northeast Georgia Mountains, I find myself dreaming of running away to the mountains and making soaps and candles. Instead I face 90 degree temps on a hot and steamy Florida day. Hard to believe, it’s not even summer yet. Guess the best way to survive will be to stock up on some crisp white wines like my latest sample, Big House Unchained Naked Chardonnay 2009.


Pineapple, peach and tropical aromas swirl up through my glass. Flavors are full of citrus and tropical flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy but there is still a nice balance of acidity. The finish provides a little hint of sugar after the tartness subsides.

Bringing a weak and wimpy Chardonnay into the Big House compound wouldn’t do for these winemakers. They decided this Chardonnay needed to be able to stand up for itself. So they threw the traditional California Chardonnay standards to the guard dogs and opted for using steel tank and neutral oak barrels allowing the true fruit flavors to break through. Fermentation in stainless steel tanks meant the grapes were given time off for good behavior, skipping the secondary malolactic fermentation period. This allows the wine to cast off the traditional oaky flavors and take on more of the natural fruit flavors in the Chardonnay grape.

What can I tell you about Big House that I haven’t already covered? Looking around the website I stumble upon one of my favorite things; free stuff! There you’ll find PC wall paper, recipes, videos and you can even have a temporary tattoo mailed to you. While looking at the video, The Birdman Pinot Grigio, I was reminded of a very little known piece of my family history. The Birdman of Alcatraz, Robert Stroud, was a relative of mine. Yep, strange but true and even stranger, there’s mention of his family in a newspaper article outlining the murder of my great-great grandfather. Birdman didn’t have anything to do with that murder, I think that was a jealous ex-boyfriend of my great-great grandmother, uh the drama!

Priced at just $10 you won’t have to commit strong arm robbery, or murder, to get yourself some great wine for the upcoming summer months.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com//

Follow me on:

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment