Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

2009 Gazela Vinhos Sogrape Vinho Verde, Portugal

Feeling that it’s about time to start wrapping up my summer whites series, figured I had a few more in the hopper I could share. Intrigued again just by the labeling, I picked up a bottle of 2009 Gazela Sogrape Vinhos Vinho Verde.

Though the wine in the bottle looks almost clear like water, the color in the glass is a very pale yellow. Aromas of tropical fruits, lemon and other citrus flavors, typical to Vinho Verde come through in abundance. Slight fizz at the front of the palate is followed by a sharp tartness consisting of lemon and lime yet the finish turns into a smooth creamy mouthfeel. This wine should be renamed Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride for all its twists and turns.

Sogrape was founded in 1942 with the intent on putting Portugal on the wine making map. Gazela Vinho Verde, sources juice from private owners with vineyards located near the city of Barcelos, smack in the heart of the Vinho Verde region. Today run by third generation winemakers, the winery owns 1,200 hectares of vineyards in Portugal, Argentina, Chili and New Zealand. Seems they’re all over the road, much like the wine.

As Jimmy Buffet’s Son of a Sailor, plays in the background, I know the Florida summer is no where near the end. But I’m already looking forward to cooler days when I can spend my time outdoors drinking wine instead of hiding inside with the AC. But don’t worry; I still have enough white wines to go through before I hang up my white wine glass for a while.

Gazela Vinho Verde wasn’t the best white wine I’ve tasted this summer but it wasn’t the worse either. Priced at $7.99, it's worth a try.

My rating – We’ll use the rest to make Sangria.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/
Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter: http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment