Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Erath Pinot Gris 2008



This upcoming weekend marks my hubby and my one year wedding anniversary. I can’t believe it’s been a year since we were standing in Portland Oregon’s VooDoo Doughnuts saying our “I do’s” in front of Cat Daddy and then off for a pub crawl. While in the Portland area we took advantage of the many wineries and one of those wineries was Erath located in Dundee, OR.

Upon returning to Tampa, I was delighted to find Erath in the local wine stores and even at Publix. Since we brought several bottles of the yummy Pinot Noir home, I haven’t purchased any others until recently, Erath Pinot Gris. In keeping with my summer whites, I snatched it up and knew the wine would be spectacular.

Pale yellow in the glass; notes of floral, honeydew and pear tickle the senses. Palate is overcome by boastful flavors of lemon, floral and pear. Nice finish and easy sipping for those lazy summer nights. This wine would pair well with just about any shellfish. Blackend shrimp or white fish on the grill would also be superbly paired with the lemon flavors in the wine.

Erath wines have been around for 40 years, longer than any other winery in the Dundee Hills area. Dick Erath, engineer turned viticulturist began winemaking in 1965 when he re-located his family from California to the Dundee Hills area of Oregon. Using an old logger’s cabin as his home on 49 acres of land he planted 23 varieties of grapes, the first wine grapes in Dundee Hills. The iron rich soils and warming sunshine give Dundee the perfect climate to perfect Pinto Noirs, the wine this area of Oregon is most well known.

While my husband and I sip our wine, we reminisce about the great times we had and the wonderful family and friends who made the trek to Portland, OR with us. Not only did they fly across the country to celebrate our wedding day but they went along with the flow, not once thinking (or at least not saying it) that they thought we were crazy for getting married at VooDoo Doughtnut, by someone named Cat Daddy, or how we hiked through Portland as we went from BridgePort Brew Company, Rogue Public Ale House and the many other microbrews we visited that day.

I’m delighted that I can find a little piece of that celebrated moment in my life, right here in my back yard.

I found this at the Bottle Rack located at 5725 Gunn Hwy, Tampa for $11.99.

My rating – Too good to put down.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment