Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2008 Elsa Bianchi Malbec


I truly enjoy Malbec wines and rarely find one I don’t like. While tonight was not an exception to this rule, the 2008 Elsa Bianchi Malbec while drinkable was in this wine drinker opinion, well, just average.

Aromas full of oak and black pepper and flavors boasting with high tannins and a lot of jammy flavors upfront. I think it was the overly sweet jam flavors that killed it for me. Mid palate and you’re hit with spiciness followed by a nice smooth finish.

Technical Stuff:
Alcohol: 14.1%
Appellation: Mendoza
Sub-Appellation: San Rafael
Varietal: 100% Malbec

The Argentine wine industry is currently the fifth largest wine producer and Malbec is certainly the most widely planted grape.Under Argentine wine laws, if a grape name appears on the wine label, at least 80% of the wine must be composed of that grape variety. While Malbec began in Southwest France it’s now king in Argentina and is most often associated with that region. The Argentine Malbec differs from its French relatives as the Argentina grapes have smaller berries in tighter, smaller clusters. The varietal is typically deep in color and intense fruity flavors with a velvety texture. As of 2003 there were over 50,000 acres of Malbec.

While an average wine isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I think I’ll skip this wine in future purchases. If you would like to experience for yourself, I found this wine at ABC Fine Wine & Liqour for less than $7.50.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the post Kellie! do you have a favorite Malbec?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ikal 1150, I have not yet found a favorite as there are too many that I truly enjoy, do you have any suggestions for Malbecs I should try next? I do have one or two that I avoid but those are the very well known Malbecs you see at every store. One of them the name starts with "N" and ends with "n".

    ReplyDelete