Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Stellar Sterling Merlot


Generally Sterling is a little out of my price range but a few weeks ago, I happen to find it on sale at ABC Fine Wine & Liquor for $9.99. The 2007 Sterling Merlot did not disappoint and I will gladly seek out this sale price again.

The color in the glass is a brilliant ruby red with purple hues. Aromas are bursting with berries, oak and vanilla. The toasty oak, black berries and vanilla carry over to the flavors. Nice mouthfeel, bold tannins and a nice fruity finish.

Technical stuff:
Varietal: Merlot
Appellation: Central Coast
Aging: One year in small oak barrels
Alcohol: 13.9%

Sterling Vineyards was established in 1964 by Peter Newton. Located in Napa Valley, they began cultivating Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc releasing the first vintage dated Merlot in the region in 1969. The winery uses a variety of California regions allowing them to cultivate from a wide variety of soils, climates and growing conditions. This allows them to choose the proper region for the appropriate grape. With more than ten vineyards and 1,200 acres the winemakers are given more flexibility and control over the quality of the harvest and wine production.

I’m crossing my fingers I’ll be able to find this one on sale again in the near future and if I do, I’ll let you know.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment