Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Roots Run Deep Winery’s Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

I’m slowly realizing the additional expenses that come with living in a colder climate. Had our chimney cleaned yesterday at a cost of $150 and was told our rain pan was rusted and the seals were broken. I thought, how much can this be, $125? Oh I was way off, $550 to replace. Have to wonder if I can live with the possibility of rain, snow, bats and squirrels making their way down the chimney. It’s an insert with a door, what’s the harm All this was enough to make me grab for the bottle right then and there. However, I was able to hold off until dinner. Then I reached for Roots Run Deep Winery’s Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon 2009.

Blackberry and juicy plum aromas. Cherry, vanilla and chocolate flavors remind me of chocolate covered cherries in a glass without all the sweetness. Hint of mint in the finish provides a nice lingering finish.  We paired with homemade Pad Thai and the combo was wonderful.

Region - 100% Napa Valley
Appellations - 89% Rutherford and St. Helena, 11% Yountville, Oak Knoll and Calistoga
Varietal - 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot
12 Months French and American Oak
SRP - $20

Founded in 2005 Roots Run Deep set off to produce great tasting wines at affordable prices. Educated Guess Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is the winery’s first release and their flagship wine. The name came about after discussing winemaking processes and the art versus science argument. Proprietor, 15-year veteran, Mark Albrecht and winemaker, 30-year veteran, Barry Gnekow, use knowledge and experience when creating wines for their portfolio, but like all farming, it’s an educated guess as to when the grapes are at their peak and ready to be picked.

For those of you chemistry challenged wine drinkers, the label represents the science used in winemaking. It shows you actual winemaking formulas that are either induced or naturally occur during a specific winemaking process. If you want to learn more about the 5 formula strings on the label click here.

Me, I’m just going to reach for another glass of Educated Guess. I’ll need it after the mess I’m creating; sanding down joint compound to cover up the grooves in the very dated paneling. My house is now a whirl of dust. Hope I can find my wine glass in all this haze.

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment