Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2008 Erath Oregon Pinot Noir Willamette Valley

Perusing my local big box club store, I stumbled across a bottle of 2008 Erath Oregon Pinot Noir. Normally priced around $17, this was just $13, feeling there must be some mistake in pricing I immediately snatched this little gem up before they realized the error.

Cherry and plum aromas carry over to the flavors, followed by a zesty spice. Mid-palate brings red currant and vanilla to the party. Tannins are bold and need a little refining in my opinion. The finish is a little lackluster for me but the wine is still nice. It tends to have the typical Pinot Noir feel to me, very up front and not very complex. I would appreciate this one more if it had a little more body.

Region –Oregon Willamette Valley
Total Acidity – 0.6gm/100ml
pH – 3.64
Alcohol – 13.2%

The 2008 harvest throughout Oregon was a late one. Berry development was about two weeks behind schedule due to cooler than normal temps. Luckily October was not plagued by the usual torrential rainfall but was dry and mild and harvest was completed by October 27.

While in the Portland area, my husband and I purchased a few bottles of Erath’s Estate Selection, direct from the winery. The wine sells for around $35. I can tell a huge difference between the Oregon wines and the Estate. But since my budget doesn’t allow me to buy $35 bottles of wine on a regular basis I’ll have to settle for the affordable and still very drinkable Oregon label.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment