Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

2007 Quivira Vineyards Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel

Have I mentioned lately what a great gig I have going. Not only do I get to sample great tasting wine (for the most part) but I get to sample wines that I may not find in my local wine store or big box retailer. This week I sampled a 2007 Quivira Vineyards Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel and I have to say this wine is quite a gem.
The color in the glass is deep brick red with aromas of black pepper, wild berries and spice. A flavor explosion of black berry, vanilla and plums washes over the palate. Well balanced layering of fruits, spices and oak. Tannins are moderate and create an enjoyable dry finish with a lingering fruits. A very sophisticated wine and still priced affordable.

Varietal – 93% Zinfandel, 7% Petite Sirah
Aging – 10 mos French oak barrel, 15% new
Alcohol – 14.9%
Production – 3,900 cases
Price - $20

Located in the Dry Creek Valley, Quivira focuses on small-lot wines, matching varietals specifically suited to the terroir. Versed in the practice of Biodynamic agriculture the methods at times may seem a little unusual. Take for example the annual event where the vineyard buries cow horns filled with a Biodynamic prep material. This method is commonly referred to as preparation 500. The horns are typically buried on the Autumnal Equinox and recovered on the Spring Equinox. The material or fermented manure is thought to revive degraded soil.

Biodynamic viticulture is a source of controversy combining both agricultural and spiritual aspects. Despite the controversy in blind tastings made up of wine experts and Masters of Wine, the biodynamic wines have generally been judged as superior to other wines. I can tell you from my personal experience, this wine had personality that a lot of other wines lack.

I did some research online for this bottling and did find it available throughout the US in local wine stores as well as for online purchase. If you’re lucky enough to find, you may want to hold for a few years. I have a feeling this one will do nothing but improve with age.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment