Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tempra Tantrum Tempranillo Granach 2008




Just in time for Spain’s running with the bulls, a wine that tastes a bit bullish.
When shopping for a new wine, price is important but I also look to the label and the name. When coming across Tempra Tantrum Tempranillo Granach 2008, I couldn’t resist the raging bull on the label nor the play on words. I wish I would have run when I had the chance.

Aromas consist of berries and loads of alcohol. Some fruitiness on the palate but the harsh tannins and high alcohol result in a burn at the back of the palate. Flavors are unbalanced, bland and at best a mediocre wine.

Tempra Tantrum vineyards located in Tierra de Castilla, Spain carries 4 blends each containing 60% Tempranillo and 40% blend. Could be Merlot, Shiraz, Grenache or Cabernet. Current winemaker, Rocio Osborne, is a sixth generation vintner who refers to these as a new generation of Spanish wines, reflecting an expression of her life.

I think this is a good example of those cutesy little “critter” labels. They draw the consumer in but how good is the wine. Don’t get me wrong, some times those cute labels truly contain nice wines but it my experience it seems the juice in the bottle is a huge let down. Makes me wonder, are they more concerned about creating a label to appeal to the masses or do they want to create great wine that will speak volumes on its own?

My hope is that as wine lovers, while we may occasionally be pulled into the cute labels, we will judge the wine on its flavor and not its marketability. As for this wine, don’t bother, it went down the drain after sitting on the counter for a few days.

My rating - Undrinkable

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment