Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kiwi Cuvee Pinot Noir is it Northwestern or New Zealand? Neither, it’s French


When I see Pinot Noir by default I think Oregon, Washington or California. When I see Kiwi, I think New Zealand or maybe Australian. So when I saw 2008 Kiwi Cuvee Pinot Noir was a French wine, I didn’t know what to think.

Colors in the glass are a deep Garnet; aromas are lightly filled with berries and a hint of cherry. The flavor is thin like so many inexpensive Pinot Noirs but it is well balanced with a hint of sweetness hitting mid-palate and light but lingering tannins on the finish.

Kiwi Cuvee is bottled by Lacheteau in France’s Loire Valley and derives its Kiwi Cuvee name as it's produced in a modern style based on New Zealand Pinot Noirs. Lacheteau owns and monitors over one hundred estates in the Loire Valley. The wine was produced under the 2007 classification Vin de pays Vignobles de France. In 2007 France’s national organization for fruit, vegetables wine and horticulture voted for a new wine category allowing the blending of varietals to be classified as more than table wine. This ruling met with some objection and was annulled in 2009.

One of my New Years resolutions was to find more inexpensive wines outside of the US. I found this wine for $8.99 and it’s not bad for an everyday wine.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.

http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment