Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cline Cellars Cashmere 2009

Wow, I can’t believe we’re in October already; it’s my favorite time of year. This is my first real experience with the changing seasons, in Florida we have palm trees and the only time they change is during hurricanes. Then the fronds are all blowing in one direction or have blown off altogether. Mother Nature is right on cue, leaves are changing, temps are dipping, winds picking up sending leaves dancing across the roads and pumpkin and fall displays are dotting the rural roads to my home.

Another indication we’re in the month of October, all those pink ribbons. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so I thought what better way to support the cause than with the purchase of Cline Cellars Cashmere 2009, a Rhone style varietal blend. Cline Cellars supports Living Beyond Breast Cancer and has contributed more than $200,000 to breast cancer foundations. The Cline Cashmere serves as a symbol of this ongoing support.

Aromas hint at something wonderful, spicy and woodsy. Loads of currant and raspberry wash over the palate. The wine is medium sweet but not jammy. Body is a little on the light side and I think I would have preferred something more full bodied on this fall evening. The finish was a little disappointing as it was extremely short lived. I envisioned myself wrapped in its silky soft liquid but found it to be a little rough around the edges. May have just been an off night for my palate.

Varietal – 50% Mourvèdre, 33% Grenache, 17% Syrah
TA - .62g/100ml
pH – 3.84
Residual Sugar - .30%

Family run by Fred and Nancy Cline, the winery is located on 350 acres in Sonoma County and is one of the first wineries on the Sonoma “wine road”. Originally located in Oakley, Fred’s maternal grandfather, Valeriano Jacuzzi, yes of the spa Jacuzzi fame, farmed orchards and vineyards. On summer visits, Cline learned how to turn those plump ripe grapes into wine. After studying Agriculture Management from UC Davis, Cline founded Cline Cellars near Oakley. In the early 90’s, Cline and his wife relocated to its present location in the Careneros region of Sonoma County and as they say, the rest is history.

Cashmere is a Rhone style blend of Mourvèdre, sourced from 30-year-old vines planted in sandy soil, dry farmed and head-pruned to develop flavorful fruit. Grenache vineyards in Oakley involve cluster thinning and leaf pulling, increasing fruit concentration. Syrah grapes come from Oakley, and have warm days and cool nights resulting in lush fruit flavors.

With the changing season, my husband and I took a drive to Blairsville to take in the local scenery in the mountain town. When we moved to NE Georgia just two months ago, I didn’t know what to do with the hilly roads. Having moved from the flat lands of Florida, going up and down and around was something I had to get used to. While looking at houses, our speed racer realtor, Kathryn, used the term, “hold onto your skivvies”. I then coined my own term for some of the roads leading up to and through the Chattahoochee National Forest, “turn your britches brown roads”. Well, good thing I wasn’t the one driving to Blairsville, because there were a few twists and turns where I just had to close my eyes and my husband leaned over and asked, “are your britches brown yet?” I replied, “not yet, but close!”

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.
2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.


Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment