Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Monticello Rioja Reserva Tempranillo 2003

Mother Nature seems to be teasing NE Georgia with days where you’re sure fall has arrived, only to find the next day humid and warm. My arms are getting tired with all this open the windows, close the windows stuff. A handful of leaves have just started to turn on the fall color show. Though I’m not sure if it’s due to drought or if fall is truly making an appearance. Regardless, when the temps at night dip into the 60’s it’s time to crack open a wine with a little oomph to it. That’s where Monticello Rioja Reserva 2003 comes into play.

First whiff and the classic bouquet of spice and oak come through. Flavors are full of spice, vanilla and very woodsy. Refined tannins give it a dry feel but not enough to make the cheeks pucker. Finish is long and oaky.

Varietal – Tempranillo
Region – Rioja Alta, Spain
Alcohol – 13.5%
SRP - $18

Founded in 1874 by Celestino Navajas in Rioja Alta, Spain, Bodegas Monticello is one of the oldest wineries in the region. The winery focuses on top-of-the-line wines and all receive the seal of the Rioja DOC control board. Once the grapes are harvested they are left to age in Bordeaux oak barrels for no less than 18 months. They are then bottled where they can be consumed immediately or aged for several years.

As the much needed rain gives way to bits of sunlight shining on the wet leaves, I’m anxious to experience my first true fall season. Stores have already begun setting out pumpkins and various gourds and I’m itching to begin hauling them home and setting up my own little pumpkin patch. Hoping the first week of October will bring a little cooler temps so my poor pumpkins don’t turn to mush before the season is over. I know I shouldn’t complain, in Florida you couldn’t carve a pumpkin until the day of Halloween since it would be rotten the next day.

Come January I’m sure I’ll be cursing the cold, stuck inside unable to navigate the snow and ice and desperately missing my flip flop and t-shirt attire. In the mean time, I’ll sit back and relax in one of our rocking chairs while watching the squirrels gather acorns and wait patiently for nature to turn on its spectacular color show.

If you would like to send samples for my review, please contact me at kstargaard@yahoo.com.

2011© Kellie Stargaard.  All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/winechicksguide
Twitter:http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide




No comments:

Post a Comment