Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

2008 Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon

Boy have I been a slacker! For the past few weeks I’ve only managed to post my blog once a week and this week I’m struggling to even get anything at all out. Sorry folks, I’ve been slammed with my day job and other responsibilities at home. Hopefully I can make it up to you soon. In the meantime how about a little something to hold you over. My most recent tasting adventure was, Hess Select and I’m not referring to premium gasoline. I found Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon at my local Publix and decided to give it a try. Well, I opened this up Sunday evening and the bottle is still sitting mostly full on the kitchen counter.

Black and red fruits on the nose. Tannins are almost over the top making the flavors are very dry and one dimensional. I had a hard time picking out any flavors really. I’m a little disappointed since this wine typically sells for $17. Maybe it was just an off day for me and my palate.

Blend – 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot, 5% Syrah
Alcohol – 13.5%
Appellation - 47% Mendocino County, 37% Lake County, 16% Napa County
pH - 3.86
TA - 0.55g / 100ml
SRP - $17, I think I found mine for $12

The Hess website claims they seek out the best regions for growing fruit-forward wines true to their varietal character. Wondering if my palate and taste buds were way off or if it was the bottle, I just gave it another try. I must admit while the tannins are a bit overwhelming I do detect more of the plum and dark fruit flavors of the Cabernet. The finish is dry but there is something that is slightly off in the finish. After the third sip, I start to detect more plum and less off taste in the finish.

Maybe we’ll give this one another whirl tonight. I do hate to throw wine down the drain after all.
So there you have it, that’s all I have for now but I should be a little less on the crazy busy side starting in May. I’ll continue posting, I just can’t promise it will be twice a week or even what day it will be.

2011© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment