Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Bubbly Report Part 1 – Cupcake and Mumm Napa

Seems I was on Santa’s naughty list this year since he gave me a cold for Christmas. I won’t let it bother me, I had the opportunity to taste some great sparkling wines prior to this little annoying gift and I’m still enjoying new wines. I don’t believe in saving sparkling wines for special occasions, I like to hear that pop for a variety of reasons; it’s dark outside, it’s Wednesday, I woke up that morning, etc. On to my 2010 Bubbly report


The first two wines are both from the Loire Valley, France made the same way as Champagne, using the Methode Traditionnelle.

Cupcake Brut Rosé Pinot Noir N.V.
Aromas carry floral notes of rose petals. Hint of strawberry and a nice creamy mouthfeel provide a delicious lingering finish. A collaboration between Cupcake winemaker Adam Richardson and Paul Epistalie from Lacheteau winery in France’s Loire Valley. I paired this sparkling with a Dry Monterey Jack cheese found at Whole Foods.
Region - Loire Valley, France
Varietal - 100% Pinot Noir
Alcohol – 12.5%
TA - 0.71g/100mL
RS - .97g/100mL
pH – 3.14
Case Production – 10,000
SRP - $15.99
I love pink sparkling wines, so fun and festive shooting their tiny little bubbles from the bottom of my glass and enticing me to take another sip.I received this bottle as a sample but did see it in Publix for the same price. Can also be found at Total Wine stores.

Cupcake Blanc de Blancs Chardonnay N.V.
100% Chardonnay the aromas are a bit like fresh bread with hints of floral and apple. Crisp flavors made up of white fruits and almonds. Nice smooth finish has me tipping the glass back for another sip.
Varietal – 100% Chardonnay
Region – Loire Valley, France
Alcohol – 12.5%
TA - .69g/100mL
RS – 1.02g/100mL
pH – 3.03
Case Production – 5,000 cases
SRP - $15.99
Check your local wine retailer for purchase.

N.V. Cupcake Prosecco D.O.C.
Slight hint of peach and melon aromas. Medium sized beads combine with refreshing citrus flavors in a nice creamy mouthfeel. Made from 100% Glera grapes, this sparkling is a true Prosecco.
Varietal – 100% Pinot Noir
Region – Italy
Alcohol – 11.2%
TA – 0.58g/100mL
RS – 1.50g/100mL
pH – 3.3
Case Production – 20,000 cases
SRP - $13.99
This was also received as a sample but I did see this at my local Total Wine store for the same price.

Mumm Napa Brut Rosé
One word….mmm, if that even is a word. This sparkler had to be my favorite. Not only did it have those fun pink bubbles swimming to the top of my glass but the flavors were exquisite. A blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay provide an array of flavors of strawberries, plums and dark red fruits. With slight tart flavors and spectacular finish, the wine is a true delight for any occasion. We paired with homemade pizza after all the pre-Christmas cooking was completed. That in itself was cause enough for celebration.
Region – Napa Valley
Varietal – 85% Pinot Noir, 15% Chardonnay
Alcohol – 12.7%
TA – 8.1/100mL
pH – 3.06
SRP - $22

More Mumm Napa and other sparkling wines coming on Thursday Dec. 30. Still plenty of time to go out and pick up some great sparklers for that midnight toast on New Year’s Eve.

2010© Kellie Stargaard. All Rights Reserved.
http://winechicksguidetoeverydaywines.blogspot.com/

Follow me on:
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=114185461044&ref=ts

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/WineChicksGuide

No comments:

Post a Comment